A life-threatening postsurgical infection is often an end result of a chain of medical errors. From the surgeon to the nurse to the attending physician, all may have played a role in allowing the infection to occur and to progress into a crisis. The Houston law firm of Davis & Davis is dedicated to fighting for the victims of medical negligence and malpractice. Contact us today.
There are many factors that can play a part in a severe or fatal postsurgical infection, including:
- Surgical error , such as perforated bowel during appendectomy, hysterectomy, bariatric weight loss procedure or gallbladder surgery
- Nursing error , such as failure to monitor patient condition or administering medication that masked the symptoms of infection, or delay/failure to alert the doctor of signs of complications
- Misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis of peritonitis, appendicitis, obstructed bowel, ruptured diverticula, etc.
- Medication error, such as failure to administer appropriate prophylactic antibiotics following surgery or in asplenic cases
When doctors, nurses and surgeons get careless, ignore signs of infection or fail to follow the accepted standards of medical care, what is initially a common and easily treatable surgical complication can become fatal. Without immediate and appropriate medical attention, infection can progress rapidly from one stage to the next, as follows:
- Infection: Appendicitis, peritonitis, pneumonia, meningitis, staph infection, which can progress to:
- Bacteremia: Bacteria invade the blood stream, circulating throughout the body, which can progress to:
- Septicemia/Sepsis: Characterized by systemic inflammatory response syndrome (SIRS), multiple organ dysfunction syndrome (MODS), blood pressure drifts and vital organs don't receive the vital oxygen they need, which can progress to:
- Septic shock: Dramatic, life-threatening drop in blood pressure leading to multiple organ system failure (MOSF), like kidney failure, lung failure (ARDS), blood system failure (DIC or ineffective clotting), etc.
The experienced and dedicated trial attorneys at Davis & Davis offer honest answers, straightforward legal guidance and aggressive representation to the victims of medical negligence resulting in severe or deadly infection.
Contact Our Team Today
If you suffered a severe postoperative infection or the wrongful death of a loved one due to sepsis or septic shock in a Texas hospital, please call the medical malpractice trial lawyers at the Houston law firm of Davis & Davis at 713-781-5200 or toll free at 877-202-0835 today for a free consultation.
You may also contact us by e-mail now for a prompt response to your important questions and concerns.
Davis & Davis proudly accepts referrals from Texas attorneys and law firms nationwide.