A life-threatening post-surgical infection is often an end result of a chain of medical errors. From the surgeon to the nurse to the attending physician, all may have played a role in allowing the infection to occur and to progress into a crisis. The law firm of Davis & Davis is dedicated to fighting for the victims of medical negligence and malpractice. Contact an experienced Houston, Texas sepsis infection lawyer from our legal team today.
Houston, Texas, Lawyer | Helping Sepsis Infection Victims Recover Compensation
Sepsis infections are often caused by neglectful medical care. Our legal team has significant experience spotting key indicators of medical malpractice in terms of patients subsequently developing sepsis, and we are here to put that experience to work for you. A Harris County, Texas medical malpractice lawyer from Davis & Davis can help you navigate the claims process and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Common Causes of Post-Surgical Infection
There are many factors that can play a part in a severe or fatal post-surgical infection, including:
- Surgical errors such as perforated bowel during appendectomy, hysterectomy, bariatric weight loss procedure or gallbladder surgery
- Nursing errors such as failure to monitor patient condition or administering medication that masked the symptoms of infection, or delay/failure to alert the doctor of signs of complications
- Misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis of peritonitis, appendicitis, thiamine deficiency, obstructed bowel, ruptured diverticula, etc.
- Medication errors such as failure to administer appropriate prophylactic antibiotics following surgery or in asplenic cases
Consequences of Doctor Negligence
When doctors, nurses, and surgeons get careless, ignore signs of infection or fail to follow the accepted standards of medical care, what is initially a common and easily treatable surgical complication can become fatal. Without immediate and appropriate medical attention, an infection can progress rapidly from one stage to the next, as follows:
- Infection: Appendicitis, peritonitis, pneumonia, meningitis, staph infection, which can progress to:
- Bacteremia: Bacteria invade the bloodstream, circulating throughout the body, which can progress to:
- Septicemia/Sepsis: Characterized by systemic inflammatory response syndrome (SIRS), multiple organ dysfunction syndrome (MODS), blood pressure drifts and vital organs don’t receive the vital oxygen they need, which can progress to:
- Septic shock: Dramatic, life-threatening drop in blood pressure leading to multiple organ system failure (MOSF), like kidney failure, lung failure (ARDS), blood system failure (DIC or ineffective clotting), etc.
The experienced and dedicated trial attorneys at Davis & Davis offer honest answers, straightforward legal guidance, and aggressive representation to the victims of medical negligence resulting in a severe or deadly infection.
Contact Our Team Today
If you suffered a severe postoperative infection or the wrongful death of a loved one due to sepsis or septic shock in a Texas hospital, please contact a Houston, Texas sepsis infection lawyer from the law firm of Davis & Davis today for a free consultation.
Davis & Davis proudly accepts referrals from Texas attorneys and law firms nationwide.