When simple gallbladder surgeries are botched due to physician error, the result can be life-changing, if not deadly. When your doctor breaks their standard of care by committing a wrong-site surgery or by coming into work intoxicated and making the choice to operate, you pay the consequences. Side effects can be severe and cause a plethora of additional medical concerns and surgical procedures, which can not only be tolling on your body, but your mind and your wallet.
You have a right to be compensated for pain, suffering, and loss by filing a medical malpractice claim. Davis & Davis, a Houston-based law firm, represents victims of medical malpractice and their families. With significant experience and a record of tangible verdicts and settlements, our attorneys provide compassionate counsel and aggressive advocacy for clients. Contact a Houston, Texas gallbladder surgery lawyer from Davis & Davis to schedule your free consultation today.
Gallbladder Surgical Errors
Gallbladder removal surgery, also known as laparoscopic cholecystectomy or lap chole, is a common medical procedure. By performing the surgery laparoscopically, pain and recovery time can be significantly reduced. Unfortunately, this procedure can also increase the opportunity for surgical errors, such as:
- Injury to the common bile duct or other biliary structures
- Transection of the wrong ductal structures
- Perforated bowel
By failing to take a full patient history into account or take the time necessary to properly identify the biliary and duct structures, physicians endanger the lives of their patients. Also, many doctors performing laparoscopic procedures have not received specialized training and have little to no experience with this form of surgery, which can further endanger patients.
A Houston, Texas Surgical Error Lawyer Can Fight for You
When it comes time to seek financial restitution for your injuries, it’s best to do so under the guidance of a dedicated gallbladder surgery attorney who is ready to devote the time and resources necessary to fight for you. When you partner with Davis & Davis, you are allowing yourself access to a team that will handle the following while you rest and recover:
- Gather evidence: In order to hold the medical care provider accountable, whether it’s the doctor, the nurses, or the healthcare facility itself, they must first be proven liable. This is done through the four components of negligence. Evidence will be collected and assessed, including expert testimony and medical records, to demonstrate this negligence and liability to the court.
- File your claim: Filing a claim on your behalf can be tricky. It’s hard to know exactly what to send, where to send it, and the time limit you have. Your gallbladder surgery attorney has extensive knowledge of the two-year statute of limitations for medical malpractice cases and will ensure all of the correct documentation is included in your filing.
At the end of the day, a surefire way to give yourself the best possible chance at a high settlement and justice is to go through a gallbladder surgery attorney with a proven success record.
Recovering Compensation for Your Gallbladder Surgery Errors
Patients who suffer from gallbladder surgery errors face an extensive and painful journey to healing. For some, they may never fully recover, even after reconstructive surgeries, including end-to-end anastomosis, Roux-en-Y hepaticojejunostomy, and ERCP. Some may even require a liver transplant. And for some, the “simple” procedure may result in peritonitis (infection) and end in wrongful death.
For this egregious surgical error, you are owed compensation. Our team will fight tooth and nail for you to receive the following damages:
- Economic: Compensation for your tangible or measurable losses is referred to as economic damages. This compensation will cover the cost of past, present, and future medical bills, lost wages due to the inability to work, and any necessary rehabilitative therapy or prescription medication.
- Non-economic: For losses that are not necessarily measured monetarily, non-economic damages are here to help. This includes general pain and suffering as a direct result of the gallbladder surgical error, anxiety and depressive disorders, and more. Your attorney can help you calculate a number that reasonably covers these losses.
Texas currently has a damage cap on non-economic damages, which means your allotted compensation for pain and suffering can not equal over $250,000. There is currently no cap on economic damages for medical malpractice claims.
Consult a Dedicated Surgical Error Lawyer Today
With over 65 years of combined experience to offer, Davis & Davis has a deep understanding of how a gallbladder surgery gone wrong can negatively impact your life. From the viability of your career to your ability to spend time with family and friends, medical malpractice affects everyone differently. Let our team take some of the weight off your shoulders and start the process of getting your life back on track to a happy and healthy future.
The experienced gallbladder surgery attorneys at Davis & Davis are committed to providing compassionate care for our clients while fiercely advocating for their rights. For a free consultation and case evaluation today, please call our Houston office at (888) 522-9444 or fill out an online contact form. Davis & Davis proudly accepts referrals from Texas attorneys and law firms nationwide.