Can I Sue a Hospital for Wrongful Death in Texas?

Free Consultation713-781-5200

hospital texas

There is nothing worse than having to trust a hospital and the medical professionals in it with the life of a loved one. Unfortunately, this is something that happens virtually every single day. That said, if you believe your loved one lost their life because of hospital staff negligence, our legal team is here to help. For more information on whether or not you can sue a hospital for wrongful death in Texas, please continue reading, then contact an experienced Houston, Texas wrongful death lawyer today.

Can you bring a wrongful death lawsuit against a hospital in Texas?

Yes, you can, because Texas statute dictates that “wrongful death” occurs when a person causes the untimely death of another either through a negligent or intentional act. Therefore, if hospital staff conducted itself negligently and your loved one lost their life as a direct result of this negligence, you should have a valid wrongful death claim.

Who can file a wrongful death suit against a Texas hospital?

Only certain people may file wrongful death claims on behalf of their loved ones. In most cases, the individual’s spouse will file a wrongful death claim. However, if the individual had no spouse, their children or parents can file. If the decedent did not leave behind a surviving spouse, children, or parents, the decedent’s executor may file the claim.

What kind of compensation can you recover for a wrongful death claim in Texas?

You should receive compensation for the following if you are able to prove your loved one lost his or her life as a result of medical malpractice or negligence:

  • Funeral expenses
  • The cost of medical treatment your loved one received prior to their death
  • Pain and suffering
  • The loss of enjoyment of life
  • The loss of companionship
  • The loss of guidance
  • The cost of lost wages that your loved one would have contributed

Before you file a wrongful death claim, you should speak with a skilled Harris County, Texas medical malpractice lawyer.

Contact Our Team Today

If you or a loved one suffered from medical malpractice, contact the law firm of Davis & Davis today for a free consultation.